Who is the Colorado Criminal Justice Reform Coalition?

Our mission is to reverse the trend of mass incarceration in Colorado. We are a coalition of nearly 7,000 individual members and over 100 faith and community organizations who have united to stop perpetual prison expansion in Colorado through policy and sentence reform.

Our chief areas of interest include drug policy reform, women in prison, racial injustice, the impact of incarceration on children and families, the problems associated with re-entry and stopping the practice of using private prisons in our state.

If you would like to be involved please go to our website and become a member.


Wednesday, April 18, 2007

SAME Cafe -- So ALL May Eat

Some stories just need to be told, the people that run the SAME cafe should be given medals. I know I'm going out of my way to stop by, just to support the effort.

On a little concrete patch of one of Denver's grittiest avenues, Hunter Dragon is back for his daily taste of a miracle. The 25-year- old musician ("I'm a troubadour") who seems equal parts beard, stocking cap, tattoos, rolled-up pants, intelligence and good vibes is finishing up his lunch at the SAME. Soon, he will pay for his meal the way about half of the clients do - by working it off with a little elbow grease and a measure of dignity.

In Dragon's case, he will wash dishes. He may mop the floor. Doesn't matter. What does matter is, "You get this sense of self- worth here. It's like you earn your keep.

"The whole concept of this place - that a musician like me without much money could come eat and not be looked down on - is just so cool. I was giddy when I heard about it, just blown away."

Rocky Mountain News article

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well just letting you know my mom from california sent me this article from the LA Times on your restaurant and I am thrilled that there is a restaurant like this for anyone and everyone. I come from a heritage of bakers and fine cooks and half way believe that many problems can be corrected with the right food and sleep. We will be coming soon to eat and support your endeavors. God bless your work and thank you!