Who is the Colorado Criminal Justice Reform Coalition?

Our mission is to reverse the trend of mass incarceration in Colorado. We are a coalition of nearly 7,000 individual members and over 100 faith and community organizations who have united to stop perpetual prison expansion in Colorado through policy and sentence reform.

Our chief areas of interest include drug policy reform, women in prison, racial injustice, the impact of incarceration on children and families, the problems associated with re-entry and stopping the practice of using private prisons in our state.

If you would like to be involved please go to our website and become a member.


Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My First Caucus

I have always voted on election day. Last night was my first caucus.

I was thrilled to be surrounded by my neighbors and the excitement that was in the air. Where I was and who I voted for didn't matter. We were in a small elementary school just blocks from my house. We were there as a community participating. The caucus leader asked for a show of hands to see how many people were at there first caucus and more than half stood up.

It was a stunning experience. Following the prescribed protocol and listening to the debates as ordinary people stood up to stump for their candidates in simple heartfelt language.

Afterwards I went home and my daughter asked me to help her dissect the Declaration of Independence and for the first time in a long time I felt like a part of the heartbeat of this country.

I want to thank everyone who participated in the process last night. It was a renewal of spirit, faith and hope.

No comments: