Saturday, March 1 11:00 a.m.
Colorado Progressive Coalition office, 1600 Downing St. Suite 210
OPPOSE the construction of a new immigrant detention center in Aurora!
If you would like to help stop this facility from being built:
1. Contact Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and/or organization to sign on to the attached petition
2. Contact the Planning Commission directly, along with the Mayor and Aurora City Council, and tell them to oppose the detention center.
Planning Commission Members, Aurora Mayor and City Council
c/o Susan Chapel15151 E. Alameda Parkway, 2nd floor
Aurora, CO 80012
4. Join us on Saturday, March 1 at 11 a.m. at the Colorado Progressive Coalition, 1600 Downing St.
We will meet to review strategy, talk about how to engage safely and respectfully.
We will then drive out to Aurora to flyer. If you are unable to make it to this event but know others that
might, please forward this message to them.
Planning Commission Members
Cc: Aurora Mayor and City Council
Dear Planning Commission Members,
As you may know, the GEO Group, a billion dollar corporation, wants to build a new 1,100 bed immigrant holding facility in
We strongly urge you to OPPOSE the construction of a new immigrant detention center in
Here is why:
Detention hurts asylum seekers and other victims of torture and trauma Torture survivors, victims of trafficking, and other vulnerable groups can be detained for months or even years, further aggravating their isolation, depression, and other mental health problems associated with the horrors they have experienced.
· Conditions in detention are atrocio
· Private prisons profit off of misery GEO is expecting $30 million a year in profits for its new
· A detention center can become a poorly run state or federal prison almost overnight The GEO Group has not been granted an immigration contract for its proposed As decision makers for
As decision makers for