Who is the Colorado Criminal Justice Reform Coalition?

Our mission is to reverse the trend of mass incarceration in Colorado. We are a coalition of nearly 7,000 individual members and over 100 faith and community organizations who have united to stop perpetual prison expansion in Colorado through policy and sentence reform.

Our chief areas of interest include drug policy reform, women in prison, racial injustice, the impact of incarceration on children and families, the problems associated with re-entry and stopping the practice of using private prisons in our state.

If you would like to be involved please go to our website and become a member.


Sunday, November 01, 2009

Pot Permit A Sign Our System Is High Already

The Denver Post
My indoctrination began in a waiting room monitored by surveillance cameras and an armed guard.
"The doctor will see you now," a clerk announced as Dr. Paul Bregman emerged from his office, reluctant to shake my hand.
"Flu, H1N1 and all that. I'm trying not to get sick," he said nervously.
So went my appointment at CannaMed, a Denver clinic that claims to be "Colorado's Leading Medical Marijuana Doctors Evaluation Referral Service."
In one hour Friday, between picking up my dry cleaning and refilling my wiper fluid, I applied as a patient and got certified. All without giving a single vital sign or disclosing how much I weigh.
"This is serious, serious medicine. Patients need this medicine. We're talking about pain here, real pain. You know what I mean?" said Bregman, who apparently has a broad definition of suffering.
I'd brought along my mom, a sensible midwesterner, to keep me company as I unshrouded the curious process of being evaluated for Colorado's registry. I answered the doctor's questions. He deemed that I qualify — noting that no one can really measure anyone else's pain.

No comments: